[Woody Allen]The Complete Prose of Woody Allen(pdf){Zzzzz}

seeders: 9
leechers: 5
Added on November 14, 2014 by zombie_roxin Books > Non-fiction
Torrent verified.

[Woody Allen]The Complete Prose of Woody Allen(pdf){Zzzzz} (Size: 2.75 MB)
 [Woody Allen]The Complete Prose of Woody Allen(pdf){Zzzzz}.pdf2.75 MB

Description

Although Woody Allen is best known for his cult movies, he is also a writer of wit and skill. This collection offers 52 pieces of hilarity, deadpan weirdness and outlandish ideas. Do you want to hear about the time Hitler went for a haircut? Or why Woody reveres Socrates? Have you ever wondered what would have happened if the Impressionists had actually been dentists? You can learn much about history - the piece on the invention of sandwiches is eye-opening - or modern life in this selection of thoughts, observations, diaries and stories from one of the most original minds and wonderfully comic voices of our time.

Publisher: Wings Books; 1st edition (March 29, 1992)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0517072297
ISBN-13: 978-0517072295

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com Review

Born in 1935, Allen Stewart Konigsberg (better known as Woody Allen) is today one of the most influential figures in cinema. He has written and directed such memorable films as Annie Hall and Manhattan, and has acted in over 40 films. He is also the author of three books--Getting Even (1971), Without Feathers (1975), and Side Effects (1980). The Complete Prose of Woody Allen brings these memorable titles together for one bumper collection--a must-have for Allen addicts.

Getting Even is a collection of 17 of Allen's magazine pieces from the late 1960s discussing such bizarre topics as the invention of the sandwich, laundry lists, death, obesity, and, of course, rabbis.

Without Feathers delivers more of Allen's New Yorker-style humor. Worthy stand-outs include "If the Impressionists Had Been Dentists," a genius piece that puts oral surgery in a whole new, much more exciting, light.

Finally, Side Effects compiles Allen's best New Yorker essays from the late 1970s. Although not as outrageously funny as his previous books, this is still a classic piece of comedy. --Naomi Gesinger
Review
'It's no secret that Allen's short stories are just as entertaining and accomplished as his films... Allen's witty stories satirise contemporary society and classic modern literature in a style that is characteristically breathless, off the cuff and brilliant' OBSERVER --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

THOUGHT PROVOKING COMEDY
By PAD-YO@MSN.COM on May 27, 1999

I must admit I'm a sucker for the silly side. The thing with Woody is that he'll have you laughing out loud like a fool one sentence and the next he's got you staring off into space thinking, "Yeah, yeah...that's true." Conversations with Death, the supernatural explained, the story of one man's pathetic attempt at a life of crime, and the single best description of sex I've ever read- "...executing with total emotional commitment the absurd choreography of human passion," it's all in there. I was always afraid of Woody Allen because I thought you'd have to be Jewish to get it. Rather, you'd have to be dead not to.

You must read this book before you die!
By A Customer on April 7, 1999

As it says on the jacket (or sleeve?) of one of these 3 books, it is dangerous reading on a bus because its nearly impossible to not burst out laughing. I was waiting at a bus stop recently in San Francisco and a lone young man reading a paperback book was unable to suppress his laughter. I took a surreptitious look at the title and I wasn't suprised to discover that it was 'Side Effects'! I treasure my copy of "The Complete Prose.." and I highly, strongly recommend it to everyone! I've given it as a gift and the recipients have always been amazed at how incredibly, ceaselessly, mercilessly funny it is. READ IT! READ IT! READ IT! -the empress of adverbs

The touchstone for literary humor
By Mark Hatmaker(mhatmake@conc.tdsnet.com) on April 30, 1998

Woody has said that his prose is influenced by two past masters--Robert Benchley and S.J. Perelman. I believe Woody has surpassed these giants and created laugh out loud prose that will last for ages. Where Perelman often loses his readers in baroque construction, Woody brings his crisp, well-honed stand-up structure to the written word. Benchley is hard to beat, and I suspect he was only beaten here because Benchley had to turn out pieces like a comedic assembly line, and Woody had the advantage of taking each piece and honing it to perfection before submission. Benchley's fingerprints are all over this work--just compare Woody's academic parodies with any of Benchley's. Do yourself a favor and read this book--you will laugh out loud. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Funniest writer ever?
By RTGame@aol.com on May 7, 1998

Woody's short humor is hilarious. It simply has to be read by anyone who appreciates prose humor. If you are about to get run over by a bus, postpone doing so and go out and buy this book. If you have jumped off a bridge, put off hitting the ground until reading this book. You will not be disappointed. Even if you don't like his movies (I myself am only a fan of his earlier work in the 70s) give his fiction and articles a try, because they are nothing like the whiny humor he does on film. How can you do that on the page anyway? Completely different kinds of humor, the written humor far surpassing the filmed humor, in my opinion.

Funniest writer ever?
By RTGame@aol.com on May 7, 1998

Woody's short humor is hilarious. It simply has to be read by anyone who appreciates prose humor. If you are about to get run over by a bus, postpone doing so and go out and buy this book. If you have jumped off a bridge, put off hitting the ground until reading this book. You will not be disappointed. Even if you don't like his movies (I myself am only a fan of his earlier work in the 70s) give his fiction and articles a try, because they are nothing like the whiny humor he does on film. How can you do that on the page anyway? Completely different kinds of humor, the written humor far surpassing the filmed humor, in my opinion.

The Ultimate in Intellectual Humour
By BC on August 28, 2004

This is genuinely hilarious and intelligent prose. My favourites are "Mr Big", "Viva Vargas!" and "Reminiscences, People and Places". Prepare to convulse. People will stare at you while you gasp for oxygen. Pure genius. The only mystery is why Allen isn't as well recognised for his writing as his movies. If you read this you will also wonder.

Allen sometimes seems to step over the line separating sharp satire from outright cynicism, especially in the later writing - but who cares? It's still a class apart. Highly recommendable.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
2.75 MB
seeders:9
leechers:5
[Woody Allen]The Complete Prose of Woody Allen(pdf){Zzzzz}