The Things They Carried (16263) -Tim O'Brien (e-book) -zeke23

seeders: 14
leechers: 4
Added on September 24, 2014 by zeke23in Books
Torrent verified.

The Things They Carried (16263) -Tim O'Brien (e-book) -zeke23 (Size: 237.08 KB)
 The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien.epub174.93 KB
 Cover.jpg57.31 KB
 metadata.opf4.79 KB
 Torrent downloaded from Demonoid.me.txt46 bytes

Description

The Things They Carried

A gripping series of Vietnam stories gathered in a format of O'Brien's devising. It is not a collection of short stories, but it is not one story with a beginning and an ending. It is perhaps closest to listening to a soldier storyteller over a long period of time. While you listen to his stories, you hear a bit of his personal life; he uses repetition of events and certain phrases to reinforce familiarity with the tales.

Closing the book you believe you know the narrator very well. The author is a Vietnam veteran. Attempting to further confuse fiction with non-fiction, Tim O'Brien gave his storyteller the name "Tim O'Brien."

This much honored novel is a favorite of city and school Big Read programs. Winner of France's Prix du Meilleur Livre Etranger and finalist for both the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Critics Circle Award.

"It’s partly a story about what happens to men in a war, but more deeply it touches people to actually look at their own lives and childhoods. The reason that book ends not in the war, but with little Linda dying of brain cancer, is that that chapter is meant to move away from war to the lives of all of us." ~Tim O'Brien

William Timothy "Tim" O'Brien (born October 1, 1946) is an American novelist best known for his work of fiction, The Things They Carried, a critically acclaimed collection of semi-autobiographical, inter-related short-stories inspired by O'Brien's experiences in the Vietnam War.[1][2][3] In addition, he is known for his work, Going After Cacciato, also written about wartime Vietnam. [4]

O'Brien has held the endowed chair at the MFA program of Texas State University-San Marcos every other year since the 2003-2004 year (i.e. 2003-2004, 2005-2006, 2007-2008, 2009–2010, and 2011-2012).[5]

O'Brien was born in Austin, Minnesota.[6] When O'Brien was seven, his family, including a younger sister and brother, moved to Worthington, Minnesota, a city that once billed itself as "the turkey capital of the world." Worthington had a large influence on O’Brien’s imagination and early development as an author. The town is located on Lake Okabena in the western portion of the state and serves as the setting for some of his stories, especially those in the novel The Things They Carried. He earned his BA in Political Science from Macalester College, where he was student body president, in 1968. That same year he was drafted into the United States Army and was sent to Vietnam, where he served from 1969 to 1970 in 3rd Platoon, Company A, 5th Battalion, 46th Infantry Regiment. He served in the division that contained a unit involved in the infamous My Lai Massacre. O'Brien has said that when his unit got to the area around My Lai (referred to as "Pinkville" by the U.S. forces), "we all wondered why the place was so hostile. We did not know there had been a massacre there a year earlier. The news about that only came out later, while we were there, and then we knew."[7]

Upon completing his tour of duty, O'Brien went on to graduate school at Harvard University and received an internship at the Washington Post. His writing career was launched in 1973 with the release of If I Die in a Combat Zone, Box Me Up and Ship Me Home, about his war experiences. In this memoir, O'Brien writes: "Can the foot soldier teach anything important about war, merely for having been there? I think not. He can tell war stories."

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
237.08 KB
seeders:14
leechers:4
The Things They Carried (16263) -Tim O'Brien (e-book) -zeke23

All Comments

Thank you.
thanx mate!