The History of England - Vols. 1 to 6 - David Hume [EPUB, MOBI]

seeders: 21
leechers: 8
Added on August 15, 2014 by 01001001in Books > Academic
Torrent verified.

The History of England - Vols. 1 to 6 - David Hume [EPUB, MOBI] (Size: 9.12 MB)
 Cover.jpg87.68 KB
 metadata.opf1.67 KB
 The History of England - Vols. - David Hume.epub3.39 MB
 The History of England - Vols. - David Hume.mobi5.64 MB

Description

David Hume's "A History of England" , 1736 edition, all 6 volumes in one file.

Volume I surveys pre-Roman Britain, the Anglo-Saxons, the Norman Conquest, and the kings of England from William I through John, and ends with a comparison of the feudal and the Anglo-Norman systems of government in England.

Volume II covers the period 1216-1485.
With a careful and seemingly fair hand, Hume describes the clashes between the barons and King John, as evolved into the Magna Charta; the first appearance of the house of Commons; the subjection of Wales, the attempts to subdue Scotland, with portraits of Robert Bruce & Braveheart William Wallace; the expulsion of the Jews; the charter to dig coal in Newcastle; the Hundred Years' War, with smart sketches of its major conflicts; the first appearance of the title of "duke"; the conflict between the Yorks and Lancasters, in the War of the Roses; the myth of Joan of Arc is described, & Richard, earl of Warwick, the Kingmaker, the last baron to overawe the crown, is portrayed.

Volume III examines the early Tudor period, from Henry VII through Edward VI, Lady Jane Grey, and Mary I, with an appendix discussing toleration.

Volume IV covers the reign of Elizabeth, perhaps the greatest monarch England ever had, including her struggles with and eventual defeat of Mary Queen of Scots.

Volume V details the accession of James I and the establishment of the Stuart dynasty, the heightened tensions between the king and parliament as the kingdom grappled with the questions of absolute rule and the problems of religion, continuing into the reign of Charles I, the civil war, and the execution of Charles.

Volume VI discusses the Commonwealth established by Oliver Cromwell, the Stuart Restoration, making Charles II king, succeeded by his brother, James II, the abdication of James, and Parliament's offer of the Act of Settlement, and the accession of William and Mary.

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
9.12 MB
seeders:21
leechers:8
The History of England - Vols. 1 to 6 - David Hume [EPUB, MOBI]