The Art of Waiting - Christopher Jory - [EPUB][N27]

seeders: 3
leechers: 2
Added on June 27, 2016 by N27in Books > Fiction
Torrent verified.

The Art of Waiting - Christopher Jory - [EPUB][N27] (Size: 1.78 MB)
 Art of Waiting - Christopher Jory.epub1.02 MB
 Cover.jpg776.37 KB

Description

The Art of Waiting

by

Christopher Jory

Language: English | Format: EPUB | ISBN-10: 1846973082 | ISBN-13: 978-1846973086

Page count: 304 | Date Published: April 16, 2015 | Publisher: Polygon

Literature & Fiction, Genre Fiction, Historical

CONTENTS

Hope
Tambov Prison Camp 188, Russia, April 1943
PART ONE Russia
Katerina
Leningrad, winter 1928
Vassili Ivanov
Leningrad, winter 1928
PART TWO Italy
Isabella
Venice, autumn 1941
Casa Luca
Venice, autumn 1941
Wild pig
Venice, autumn 1941
After Luca
Venice, autumn 1941
PART THREE Russia and Ukraine
Train to nowhere
Brescia, July 1942
Sunflowers
Near Rostov-on-Don, August 1942
The Angel
Pavlovsk, near Rostov-on-Don, December 1942
The Retreat
Pavlovsk, near Rostov-on-Don, January 1943
The Prisoner
Tambov Prison Camp 188, March 1943
Hope
Tambov Prison Camp 188, April 1943
Oleg
Leningrad, July 1944
PART FOUR Italy
Homecoming
Milan, July 1950
The Violin
Venice, November 1950
The Outcast
Venice, November 1950
Pantheon
Rome, December 1950
Letters
Venice, December 1950
The Chief Inspector
Venice, March 1951
Teatro La Fenice
Venice, March 1951
Revenge
Venice, March 1951
Barbed wire
Tambov, April 1952

Excerpt:

Katerina

Leningrad, winter 1928

The little girl thrust her head up through the surface of the river and gulped at the freezing air. She opened her throat and let out a roar of extraordinary rage and volume as the water rushed into her mouth and her head dipped below the surface again. For a moment it looked as though she was giving up the fight, sinking down into the darkness of the River Neva, but then she beat her legs frantically once more and thrashed her arms and fists and pulled herself towards the surface. Her head emerged again into the fading afternoon light, the icy wind snatching at her skin, and she gasped, a spluttering, coughing, spraying exhalation. And then a strong hand took hold of her wrist with a certainty that sent death slinking back beneath the waves, back into its hole among the dark, inert and rusting things that littered the riverbed. The fisherman hauled the girl out of the water and deposited her on the quayside. The wet bundle sat and stared back at him in shock.

‘What the hell are you doing falling into the water on a day like this? Or any day, for that matter? And you shouldn’t be out and about on your own anyway, a little thing like you. Does your mother even know where you are?’

His tone was harsh and reproachful, and as she listened to his scolding, her wide eyes blinked slowly and dissolved into tears.

‘Come on, you can’t sit there like that. You’ll freeze to death in no time. But don’t think I’m going to carry you, all soaking wet like that.’

He picked her up, placed her on her feet, and hurried her along to the nearest building – a museum – chiding her as they went, his stride lengthening as he spoke. Her little steps quickened to keep up and she felt a warmth edging through her and her shivers became less violent in the dusk.

‘I bet you, when I get back, someone will have taken all my fishing gear,’ he said.
‘Do you really think so?’ she whispered, feeling guilty now for the trouble she was putting him to.

‘Yes, I do. I honestly think so! You come along bothering me for fish every day, and then you go and fall in the river and now I . . . I don’t know.’

‘I’m sorry,’ she said.

‘And there’s no point in you coming and asking me for fish any more, is there? Because I’m not going to have any, am I?’

‘No?’

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
1.78 MB
seeders:3
leechers:2
The Art of Waiting - Christopher Jory - [EPUB][N27]