The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (1842) - the first American comic book {WebComixFan}

seeders: 1
leechers: 3
Added on March 30, 2016 by WebComixFanin Books > Comics
Torrent verified.

The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (1842) - the first American comic book {WebComixFan} (Size: 298.94 MB)
 01 - The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (1842).cbr298.94 MB
 00 - Torrent Info.txt805 bytes

Description

"THE ADVENTURES OF MR. OBADIAH OLDBUCK"

"The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck" was published in New York in 1842, and is generally recognized as the very first American comic book. Though drawn by Timothy Crayon, it was actually a plagiarized copy of a book published in Britain a year before, which itself was a plagiarized copy (and English translation) of a plagiarized copy of "Histoire de M. Vieux Bois." That volume had been published in Switzerland in 1937 by Rudolphe Töpffer, who is widely regarded as the creator of the modern comic strip.

The page scans in the CBR file were downloaded from the Dartmouth College Library's Web site.

HAPPY TORRENTS DAY!

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
298.94 MB
seeders:1
leechers:3
The Adventures of Mr. Obadiah Oldbuck (1842) - the first American comic book {WebComixFan}

All Comments

This is fascinating, I'll definitely check it out! Although I'm not quite clear on what plagiarized means in this context?
My blog post is a bit clearer on the issue, I think. Basically, at that time, copyright laws were purely national. There was nothing illegal about a publisher in one country profiting by printing something already printed in another country, and so many publishers did just that. "Obadiah Oldbuck" was originally published in Switzerland. Then it was published under a different byline elsewhere in Europe. Then in English under yet another byline in England. And then, under another byline, in America. And each time, since the original engravings were of course not available to the publisher, the illustrations were redone. Thus, while the illustrations in the American version were in fact drawn by Crayon, they were still just copies of copies of Töpffer's originals.
I gotcha now! Thank you for elaborating. :)