No Animals Were Harmed_ The Controversial Line Between Entertainment And Abuse (2011).pdf

seeders: 0
leechers: 0
Added on October 2, 2014 by anonyebookfanin Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

No Animals Were Harmed_ The Controversial Line Between Entertainment And Abuse (2011).pdf (Size: 19.41 MB)
 No Animals Were Harmed_ The Controversial Line Between Entertainment And Abuse (2011).pdf19.41 MB

Description

Investigative journalist Peter Laufer is back with his third book in a trilogy that explores the way we humans interact with animals. The attack of a trainer at Sea World by a killer whale in February 2010 is the catalyst for this examination of the controversial role animals have played in the human arenas of entertainment and sports. From the Romans throwing Christians to lions to cock-fighting in present-day California, from abusive Mexican circuses to the thrills of a Hungarian counterpart, from dog training to shooting strays in the Baghdad streets, Laufer looks at the ways people have used animals for their pleasure. The reader travels with Laufer as he encounters fascinating people and places, and as he ponders the ethical questions that arise from his quest.

By
VampireCowboy (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: No Animals Were Harmed: The Controversial Line Between Entertainment And Abuse (Hardcover)
What's the difference between enjoying a cockfight and munching down on crispy fried KFC?

In a nutshell, that's the central question explored in the non-fiction book No Animals Were Harmed: The Controversial Line Between Entertainment and Abuse by Peter Laufer, PhD.

To amplify this: How can a person object to bloody cockfights and then turn around, sometimes literally on the very next corner, and eat up a piece of fried (or broiled, or baked, or whatever) chicken? The book is about more than just this specific question, of course. The author expands the context of inquiry to circus performers, zoos, pet ownership and more.

It's a gray area. And a tough question.

I applaud the author's willingness to take on this tough question and his thorough approach. I don't agree with all of his conclusions, nor am I crazy about his writing style, but he has philosophical courage. The issue of animal rights is a central question of 21st century civilization. Laufer's book will stand the test of time. Bravo!

From a stylistic standpoint, Laufer employs the "please, come along with me on my travels as I explore this question" approach. This style of "buddy" journalism has a predictable sequence - take a few trips, write about the revelations, string it all together in a chronological, reasonably entertaining narrative, and then close with a personal epiphany, extrapolated to the entire universe. I don't care much for the narrative framework, but others may. Even so, I still like the subject.

From a content standpoint, for anyone interested in this topic, especially people who are new to the philosophy of animal rights, and for the vegan-curious, this book is well worth picking up. Go ahead and join the author on his stumble through this rich intellectual territory - Polish lion tamers, cock-fighting and more cock-fighting, entertaining or killer whales at SeaWorld, jail house interviews, more about cockfighting, along with his own very brief venture into veganism. (Fresh fish did him in, as it does many people.)

As Laufer realizes on his journey, veganism is an evolution, not a single galaxy jump. It's not for everyone. Laufer's conclusions make clear he, personally, is not ready for this step. The line between animal use and animal abuse is so wide, and animal use is deeply integrated into our civilization, rejecting it requires a life of constant vigilance. It can get tiring. And that's okay. But Laufer, in the end, rejects veganism with, in my view, a faux intellectualism designed to justify his choice when in fact, he's just not personally ready for the degree of vigilance. He need not be vegan. Laufer's curiosity on this topic is enough, and even inspiring. It's okay -- for now -- if he wants to oppose cock-fights and still eat chicken.

Because his children, or maybe his grand-children, will someday give up chicken. It's the inevitable course of civilization. And his quest moves society an inch or two on that path.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
19.41 MB
seeders:0
leechers:0
No Animals Were Harmed_ The Controversial Line Between Entertainment And Abuse (2011).pdf