Meditations - Rene Descartes [English]~maximalla

seeders: 3
leechers: 1
Added on June 6, 2013 by maximallain Books > Academic
Torrent verified.

Meditations - Rene Descartes [English]~maximalla (Size: 1.05 MB)
 Meditations - Rene Descartes.pdf709.7 KB
 Meditations - Rene Descartes.mobi198.67 KB
 Meditations - Rene Descartes.epub117.04 KB
 Meditations - Rene Descartes.jpg49.43 KB
 Meditations - Rene Descartes.opf3.43 KB

Description

The famous statement, “I think therefore I am” (Cogito, ergo sum; Je pense, donc je suis), rings loud and clear as a statement by the great thinker and father of modern philosophy, Rene Descartes. In this essay, I will give a brief overview of Descartes’ life and works. I will then analyze and discuss in depth, one of his most important works, the Meditations on First Philosophy. Lastly, I will discuss the significance of Descartes’ works upon modern philosophy and science.
To begin, in order to understand Descartes’ life and works, it is important to note that he was born in an age of great change and upheaval. The scientific revolution was in full swing and changing the long held beliefs about the nature of our world and the universe. Copernicus, for example, discovered that the earth rotated around the sun, rather than as formerly thought, to be stationary, while the sun traveled around it. In addition, Galileo verified Copernicus’ observations, inciting the wrath of the Church. The scientific revolution marked a major shift away from the highly religious views of the middle ages. So, as is portrayed in the trial of Galileo by the Church, there was a great amount of tension between the new science and the traditional views of the Church.
In the midst of this new era, Descartes was born on March 31, 1596, in a small town in Touraine called La Haye (now called La Haye-Descartes or simply Descartes). At the age of ten, his father sent him to a Jesuit school where he received a classical education. In 1614, he began to study law at Poitiers and in 1616 received his baccalaureate and licentiate degrees in law. Soon after in 1618, Descartes joined the army of Prince Maurice of Nassau as an unpaid volunteer, but never saw combat. However, he was able to see Europe and it was during this time that something of life changing importance happened.

By Brian Ohl

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
1.05 MB
seeders:3
leechers:1
Meditations - Rene Descartes [English]~maximalla

All Comments

A little existential porridge to start the day off with...
Thank God. Thank you. :D
very nice,thanx
thanks