[John_Edgar_Park]Understanding 3D Animation Using Maya(pdf){Zzzzz}

seeders: 17
leechers: 3
Added on September 29, 2014 by zombie_roxin Books > Academic
Torrent verified.

[John_Edgar_Park]Understanding 3D Animation Using Maya(pdf){Zzzzz} (Size: 17.82 MB)
 Cover.jpg25.04 KB
 [John_Edgar_Park]Understanding 3D Animation Using Maya.pdf17.8 MB

Description

Here is both a general guide for understanding 3-D computer graphics as well as a specific guide for learning the fundamentals of Maya: workspace, modeling, animation, shading, lighting, and rendering. Each chapter first presents an initial concept, which details a proven method, before providing hands-on tutorials and projects. This approach details how and why animation techniques work and explains how to use Maya for creating sophisticated, state-of-the-art animations. The author distills real-world experience into helpful hints and step-by-step guides for common tasks.

Publisher: Springer; 2005 edition (January 5, 2005)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 038700176X
ISBN-13: 978-0387001760

More About the Author
Biography
John Edgar Park is an author, maker, animation filmmaker, technical/artistic problem solver, educator, TV host, builder of quirky electro-mechanical contraptions, husband, and father of two.

John has worked as a 3D artist, character rigger, and CG supervisor for games, visual effects, and animated feature films since 1994 at such studios as Walt Disney Animation Studios, and Sony Imageworks. He is currently the Director of Digital Production & Technology at Disneytoon Studios, overseeing CG filmmaking and technology research and development on such films as Disney's Planes, Planes: Fire & Rescue, and the Disney Fairies.

John has taught Maya at Sony Pictures Imageworks, Disney, The Animation Guild Local 839, Friedman 3D, and Studio Arts.

He's the co-founder of the hardware peripheral company WingShield Industries, and co-creator of its premiere offering, the ScrewShield for Arduino.

John hosted the American Public Television show Make: television and has presented talks at many Maker Faires. He writes for Make: magazine, Boing Boing, Cool Tools and other places online and in print, including authoring the book Understanding 3D Animation Using Maya.

John's obsessions include coffee roasting/brewing/making/drinking, robots, tools, beatboxing, sharing self-portraiture, and admittedly strange human body tricks. His control of individual face muscles led to his use as the baseline calibration model for facial motion capture systems and rigs in many visual effects movies.

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

Well worth the price
By T. BRUNO on April 10, 2005

I HIGHLY recommend this book not only to the novice/intermediate level 3d artist, but to advanced users coming over to Maya from a different software package. There are even gems for the Maya professional ( as an experienced character animator, I found the `toon tire tutorial eye-opening re: hierarchies and transform order ).

I was most impressed by the clarity with which the author covers each topic, and how the knowledge he imparts progressively builds in detail and complexity through each chapter and hands-on tutorial.

If you are new to Maya, or have remained specialized in Maya ( i.e. modeling ) and would like to branch out into other areas, this is THE book to buy.

Clear and valuable insight
By William Victor on February 23, 2005

Like other books of its kind, Understanding 3D Animation Using Maya covers the fundamentals and most commonly used tools that a user must be familiar with when creating 3D content with Maya. However, it is the way the author groups these concepts together that is the hallmark of this book. John Park explains the subject matter through a consistent theme of "stages" that a user would encounter in most real world projects. By establishing a process in parallel with an explanation of the tools, John Park provides a logical approach that a user can refer to when trying to accomplish a goal in Maya. As you progress through the book he goes beyond the basics by applying that same practice to some of the more challenging aspects of the program.

Some books on Maya overwhelm the reader by hammering away at feature after feature with no example of how to apply the software tools to an intended objective. In contrast, this book presents a series of examples and exercises throughout the text, providing an opportunity for the user to complete a task and come away with a sense of accomplishment. This is extremely helpful when trying to understand new or complex topics and also serves to motivate a reader to learn more.

As a long time Maya user myself, I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for clear and comprehensive insight in to this versatile 3D application.

outstanding text
By U. Muzaffar on February 12, 2005

I'm a programmer, but I have been interested in 3D graphics for a long time. I have dipped into both the dense academic texts that describe graphics and animation theory (too thick for a beginner, and frankly, too boring) and the fat books that describe a particular animation package (little more than a glorified user manual). This book is completely different: equal parts theory and practice with fantastic explanations backed up with tutorials you can follow through to demonstrate the ideas. In particular: Park's decision to cover all parts of the animation process (tool workspace, modeling, animation, shading, lighting, rendering) at each level means that you're working from complete examples at all stages (in programmer terms, it almost follows the Agile Process' 'integrate-first, build incrementally' model that works so successfully). First chapter alone taught me more about what those wizards do at Pixar and the like than anything else I've read. Highly recommended!

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
17.82 MB
seeders:17
leechers:3
[John_Edgar_Park]Understanding 3D Animation Using Maya(pdf){Zzzzz}