John Coltrane & Archie Shepp - New Thing at Newport (1965) 320Kbps - Jazz # DrBN

seeders: 1
leechers: 4
Added on January 8, 2015 by Dr3bb3nin Music > Mp3
Torrent verified.

John Coltrane & Archie Shepp - New Thing at Newport (1965) 320Kbps - Jazz # DrBN (Size: 152.51 MB)
 a - John Coltrane - Front.jpg104.03 KB
 b - Archie Shepp - Front.jpg338.59 KB
 C - back.jpg276.59 KB
 01 Spoken Introduction to John Coltrane's Set by Father Norman O'Connor.mp32.68 MB
 02 One Down, One Up.mp329.21 MB
 03 My Favorite Things-Spoken Conclusion to John Coltane's Set by Father No.mp335.21 MB
 04 Spoken Introduction to Archie Shepp's Set by Billy Taylor [#].mp34.75 MB
 05 Gingerbread, Gingerbread Boy [-].mp324.02 MB
 06 Call Me by My Rightful Name.mp315.47 MB
 07 Scag.mp37.93 MB
 08 Rufus (Swung His Face at Last to the Wind, Then His Neck Snapped).mp313.39 MB
 09 Le Matin des Noire.mp319.05 MB
 Front.jpg104.03 KB

Description

On July 2nd of 1965, John Coltrane gave one last glimpse of the old ‘Trane’ when he brought Jones, Tyner and Garrison to the coveted Newport Jazz Festival - by the end of the year he would take a different direction, hiring Pharoah Sanders and wife Alice Coltrane for the band. (Later the same year, Impulse released “New Thing at Newport” to celebrate the quartet’s performance plus Archie Shepp’s set from that afternoon.) There was no better place for Coltrane to divide his fans than the popular event.
Here the John Coltrane Quartet turns in one of the finest live recordings of their signature "My Favorite Things," always a study in sustained tension with Coltrane's soprano keening over Elvin Jones's rhythmic undercurrents. "One Up, One Down," an intensely propulsive tenor performance, is emblematic of Coltrane's emphasis on shorter phrases and a concentrated expressionism. The structure for the songs may be the same but the improvised sections had Coltrane pushing the limits.
Archie Shepp's set catches him at a creative peak, a gifted tenor saxophonist whose solos could invoke the breathy lyricism of Ben Webster or meld free-jazz exploration with some pointed rhythm & blues. He's joined by a brilliant band, vibraphonist Bobby Hutcherson and bassist Barre Phillips complementing Shepp's passion with airy virtuosity and drummer Joe Chambers providing an elastic beat for the leader's creative rhythmic detail.

John Coltrane / Archie Shepp

New Thing at Newport

CD / 2000 / Remastered / 320Kbps

Tracklist:

1 Spoken Introduction to John Coltrane's set by Father Norman O'Connor

2 One Down, One Up

3 My Favorite Things / Spoken Conclusion to John Coltane's set by Father Norman O'Connor

4 Spoken Introduction to Archie Shepp's Set by Billy Taylor

5 Gingerbread, Gingerbread Boy

6 Call Me by My Rightful Name

7 Scag

8 Rufus (Swung His Face at Last to the Wind, Then His Neck Snapped)

9 Le Matin des Noire

Personnel:

# 2 & 3 / John Coltrane Quartet:

John Coltrane — tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone

McCoy Tyner — piano

Jimmy Garrison — double bass

Elvin Jones — drums

# 5 - 9 / Archie Shepp Quartet:

Archie Shepp — tenor saxophone, except "Scag", recitation

Bobby Hutcherson — vibes

Barre Phillips — double bass

Joe Chambers — drums

John Coltrane / Archie Shepp
New Thing at Newport

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
152.51 MB
seeders:1
leechers:4
John Coltrane & Archie Shepp - New Thing at Newport (1965) 320Kbps - Jazz # DrBN