Idioms in the news - epub [a0b10c110]

seeders: 1
leechers: 0
Added on July 10, 2015 by a0b10c110in Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

Idioms in the news - epub [a0b10c110] (Size: 597.83 KB)
 Idioms in the news.epub573.74 KB
 Idioms in the news - cover.jpg21.37 KB
 Idioms in the news - info.txt2.72 KB

Description

Idioms in the News - 1,000 phrases, real examples

Bibliographic information

Title Idioms in the News - 1,000 Phrases, Real Examples
Author Peter Bengelsdorf
Publisher Peter Bengelsdorf
ISBN 1476309353, 9781476309354

Book Description

For teachers, students and all who love language, this indispensable resource has more than 3,000 examples of more than 1,000 idiomatic phrases. Click the cover for a preview.
Americans love to use idioms, phrases that are colorful and mysterious. Idioms in the News investigates how the 800-pound gorilla got mixed up with the elephant in the room. Learn what mumbo jumbo means and where it came from. Find out why greasing someone's palm may not be messy but may be illegal.
Every entry starts with examples, which give you a much better understanding than definitions alone. And there are entertaining notes on the origin and history of the phrases.
The author, Peter Bengelsdorf, is a former newspaper editor and executive. Idioms in the News was inspired by students in his English classes, and by the word "hunker," which no one ever uses except in the phrase "hunker down."

Reviews

I won't "beat around the bush". What a great collection of idioms! This treasure is a rare find among idiom books. Aside from explaining the meaning and providing an example, this intelligent and amusing book provides insight into the origin of the idioms presented. The anecdotes are engaging and well researched, offering a very enjoyable read for those learning English or for anyone interested in words and the their etymology.

This is a must for my teenage daughters. So many times, they roll their eyes at me when using common expressions. They think I just make them up and nobody else has ever said such a thing, this is my gift for them. It explains the origin of these everyday phrases in a witty way and a real insight to our English language. Kudos to the author, Peter Bengelsdorf. This is very enjoyable reading.

An entertaining and clever book that compiles those puzzling expressions indispensable in the mastering of English. This source stands up because provides the reader with the meaning, use of the idiom in the news, and a historical background.
Having learned English as an adult, I am always in search of this kind of books because only through idioms one can truly know a language. I quizzed some native speakers with some of the idioms included in the book, and their responses varied greatly. It ended up being a great conversation piece.

Idioms in the News is an excelent source of research for us foreingners. With this book it is much easyer to be up to date to newspaperman everyday wrintig. It is most helpful not only when we read or listen to the news on tv, but also when we have to write.

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
597.83 KB
seeders:1
leechers:0
Idioms in the news - epub [a0b10c110]