How to Build Polynesian Outrigger sailing canoes with plans

seeders: 0
leechers: 0
Added on July 20, 2015 by capmarvelousin Books
Torrent verified.

How to Build Polynesian Outrigger sailing canoes with plans (Size: 11.35 MB)
 Outrigger Canoes.pdf11.35 MB

Description

1 This book is written to instruct with the assumption buyer has no knowledge or experience with bost building. Excellent demonstrations, diagrams, and instructions. Very straightforward construction plans and tips. Has some ideas that inspired me to go larger and to pass on the idea and plans that urge you to sacrifice quality quality and size for a boat that is less than your dream. Book is complete with reference websites that answers questions and inspires confidence. One of the best I've read in the last 20 years.

2 I recall the Malibu Outriggers from the early sixties on Alamitos Bay and Long Beach Harbor in Southern California before the advent of the Hobies and other beach cats. These designs in this book have been recaptured from the original museum pieces and working designs still in use in some parts of the world that go back in time thousands of years. They have been re-engineered and presented in a form that anyone with minimal skills and DIY abilities could emulate. There is still a lot to be learned from these traditional designs from Polynesian and other islanders. I hope to see a whole new generation of boats and multihull designers result from this fantastic book!

3 This book has it all: great pictures, descriptive diagrams (the diagrams are spectacular!) and text, and a thorough examination of all things relating to outrigger sailing canoes and beyond. The thoroughness spans more than just canoes, and the construction methods are applicable to other projects. The plans are great, although probably more than the rote beginner can handle. So many boat rigging variations invite the reader to experiment with their own boat, and this book conveys the knowledge to do so. The book has more value than the price suggests.

I have always been enamored with outrigger canoes and catamarans. Prior to reading this book, I couldn't have seen myself ever building something this beautiful and useful. I've built small wood & plastic models, but that's about it. I bought this book recently, read and re-read it cover to cover, and performed as much research on the subject as possible. Two weeks later, I ordered a set of full sized plans for the Ulua sailing canoe featured in this book. I am in the midst of building this boat as I write this review.

My personal experience aside, I will say that this an exceptional DIY book with many clear and well-composed illustrations and diagrams. The author goes into detail with his instructions but remains accessible throughout. In a couple of instances, he suggests some alternatives to techniques and materials for construction. This is not an overly technical read or a jargon-ridden manual. All the measurements are given in English and Metric units. There are no tricky formulas or maths to confuse the manual process.

Outrigger Sailing is approachable to the first time builder that might have a little experience with power tools. If you've cut lumber with a tablesaw, built models with glue, and used a sabersaw to cut out basic wood shapes, then you have the skills necessary to build any one of the canoes in this book. You have the option of purchasing the full-size plans at a reasonable price from the author if you have doubts or no previous experience creating lofts from offsets.

Building Outrigger Sailing Canoes is not meant to be a historical survey of Pacific outrigger canoes, nor is it meant to be a complete guide on how to sail, paddle or cruise with them. The book is exactly what the title implies.

The only areas for improvement I can find are possibly in the technique sections. A few more pages could be spent on detailing the strip planking and sail rigging, but there are several excellent books written on the subject. In my opinion, the author would be re-inventing the wheel if he did so. I'd suggest Ted Moore's "Canoecraft", "Sailmaker's Apprentice" by Emiliano Marino andr Nick Schade's "Building Strip Planked Boats" for further reading. Gary mentions a couple of these in the book's resources appendix, along with several valuable internet sites and forums specifically on outrigger sailing, culture and construction.

4 Once in a while I come across a piece of gem. This book is one of them.

First, my background... I am a sailor. I have owned a wooden catamaran for about 15 years. I have learned working with wood and epoxy while maintaining my boat. Early in my life, I have received formal training on engineering and on how to read blueprints.

This book offers three very attractive plans for outrigger canoes and describes how to build and sail them. These plans offer a lot of flexibility.

It was clearly written by a very experienced builder who happens to know how to write well. It has all the information that I need to build any of these boats. The explanation looked very clear to me but required that I study the plans.

Yet, I have found this book really entertaining. It is feeding my dreams. I can just imagine myself going down the St-Lawrence in my wa`apa hmmm ... :)

If you want to build and sail an outrigger canoe, or if you just want to dream about it, then I highly recommend this book.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
11.35 MB
seeders:0
leechers:0
How to Build Polynesian Outrigger sailing canoes with plans