English_Grammar_for_the_Utterly_Confused - pdf [a0b10c110]

seeders: 8
leechers: 5
Added on July 15, 2015 by a0b10c110in Books > Academic
Torrent verified.

English_Grammar_for_the_Utterly_Confused - pdf [a0b10c110] (Size: 1.48 MB)
 English_Grammar_for_the_Utterly_Confused.pdf1.43 MB
 English_Grammar_for_the_Utterly_Confused - cover.jpg53.69 KB
 English_Grammar_for_the_Utterly_Confused - info.txt4.22 KB

Description

English Grammar for the Utterly Confused

For students who want to learn the nuts and bolts of English grammar

A generation ago, the United States public school system stopped formal instruction in English grammar and consequently created a legion of students and professionals notoriously weak in writing and language skills.

English Grammar for the Utterly Confusedis a must-have for anyone who gets that “deer-in-the-headlights" look when asked to recognize a misplaced modifier or even find the verb in a sentence.

This user-friendly, witty guide helps everyone-from students taking the GED to professionals writing business plans-learn the structures of English grammar and how to use them easily and proficiently. Demystifying grammar once and for all, this handbook will help all readers acquire the ability to speak and write competently, correctly, and confidently.

Key features include:

Exercises throughout to develop facility in writing skills
Clear explanations of complex concepts
Handy icons
More than 200 solved problems and examples
Test Yourself section in each chapter

Product Details

Language: English
ISBN-10: 0071399224
ISBN-13: 978-0071399227

From the Back Cover

When it comes to understanding one of your most intimidating courses--English Grammar--even good students can be confused. This guide is a must-have for everyone, from students taking the GED to professionals writing business plans, as it explores the structures of English grammar and how to use them easily and proficiently.

English grammar is explained in an easy-to-use format that gets the student comfortable with communication quickly and easily. The message of English Grammar for the Utterly Confused is simple: You don't have to be confused anymore. With the wealth of expert advice from the author, who has taught thousands of confused students, English grammar is demystified once and for all, as you acquire the ability to speak and write competently, correctly, and confidently. Don't wait another minute--get on the road to higher grades and greater confidence, and go from utterly confused to totally prepared in no time!

Laurie Rozakis, Ph.D. ,a recipient of the Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching, is an associate professor of English at the State University of New York College of Technology at Farmingdale and has taught grammar and usage for more than 25 years.

Reviews

As a student majoring in English, I've always been disappointed upon finding a typo or error in a book. I generally read fiction and in most cases, I'll find one or two mistakes. Any more than that and I strongly question if I should continue reading the book. I'm not the grammar or spelling police, but I feel like if I notice the mistake, then the author/editor/publisher should have noticed it too.

Therefore I am "Utterly" appalled at this book. There is no excuse for textbooks having mistakes in them. Not only are students forced to pay an arm and a leg for most of them, but they are depending on these books to teach them the correct things. It is unforgivable for an English Grammar book to have so many mistakes in it!

Some mistakes are small. Chapter 1, page 12, Verbs: "There are four basic types of verbs: action verbs, linking verbs, and helping verbs."

Can you find the mistake? There are only "three" types of verbs listed. Not "four".

Some mistakes are big! Chapter 2, page 27, True or False Questions:
"4. In the possessive case, the pronoun is used as an object."
"6. A predicate nominative is a noun or pronoun that follows a linking verb and identifies or renames the subject."
"8. Gerunds always end in -ed, and they always function as verbs."
"9. A pronoun used in apposition with a noun is in the same case as the noun."

The answer key lists these as: 4-True, 6-False, 8-True, 9-False. Each of these is actually the opposite, and this can be verified by simply rereading the chapter!

I've only read up to the end of chapter two. There are clearly five mistakes in these two chapters alone. Who knows how many more there are? And though in the past I've been irritated when new editions of the same textbook are published every year at high prices, this may be the one case where I would have welcomed a newer (and more proofread!) edition.

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
1.48 MB
seeders:8
leechers:5
English_Grammar_for_the_Utterly_Confused - pdf [a0b10c110]