Eddi Reader - Sings the Songs of Robert Burns [Japan Bonus Track]

seeders: 0
leechers: 0
Added on October 9, 2008 by in Music
Torrent verified.

Eddi Reader - Sings the Songs of Robert Burns [Japan Bonus Track] (Size: 73.92 MB)
 01-Baby Hold On.mp34.9 MB
 02-Two Tickets to Paradise.mp35.48 MB
 03-Peace in Our Time.mp36.98 MB
 04-Where's the Party (Live).mp38.01 MB
 05-I Wanna Go Back.mp35.42 MB
 06-Walk on Water.mp36.42 MB
 07-Shakin'.mp34.32 MB
 08-Take Me Home Tonight.mp34.87 MB
 09-Think I'm in Love.mp34.36 MB
 10-Looking Through the Eyes of a Child.mp36.23 MB
 11-No Control.mp35.46 MB
 12-We Should Be Sleeping.mp35.41 MB
 13-Stop Steppin' on My Heart.mp36.01 MB
 come and join us.txt599 bytes
 Greatest Hits.jpg51.89 KB

Description

More great music reviews & torrents at btbeat.com
-------------------------------------------
Eddi Reader has proven her worth as a sublime singer of pop and folk material (and beyond), but this returns her full-bore to her Scottish roots. Born from the concerts she did at the 2002 Celtic Connections festival, it's a decidedly lush performance that hauls in several well-known Celtic names like Phil Cunningham, John McCusker, and Ian Carr to help her along. But it's Reader's rendition of Robert Burns' classics that's the key here. She picked familiar material, songs that have become part of the folk continuum that can be both a blessing and a curse. But she reinvents something like "My Love Is Like a Red Red Rose," investing it with rich emotion. She positively flies on the more romantic songs, such as "Ae Fond Kiss," but she brings a surprising depth to "Charlie Is My Darling" and the chestnut "Auld Lang Syne," and "Ye Jacobites" sizzles with tension. The arrangements go for the cinematic rather than the intimate, putting them on the dangerous edge of new age. But such is the quality of everyone involved that there's no danger of teetering over and it becomes a tour de force. It is one of the highlights of Reader's splendid career, and even "Wild Mountainside," decidedly not a Burns song, fits in perfectly.
4 Stars - allmusicguide
------
Amazon.co.uk Review
While Eddi Reader's Sings the Songs of Robert Burns may sound like something deeply unpalatable foisted upon cowering school music students as part of the National Curriculum, it isn't. And besides--the former Fairground Attraction vocalist has come up with a folk album sensitive to the protestations (Jacobite rebel songs), lusts and romantic tragedies ("Ae Fond Kiss" and the unbearable tenderness of "My Love Is Like a Red Red Rose") of Rabbie Burns's work. While poetry may not be the new rock & roll, Alloway's 18th Century "ploughman poet" made more of a decent fist at getting pissed and overly frisky with the ladies than was ever managed by Jim Morrison. And when it came to poetry, Burns wrote "Tam O' Shanter". Morrison wrote "Death of My Cock". Enough said.
Abetted by some of the most prestigious names in the contemporary British folk world--John McCusker, Colin Reid, Boo Hewerdine, Kate Rusby (who duets harmoniously on the homesick Highland panorama of "Wild Mountainside") and with Kevin McCrae's eloquent string arrangements (with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra) meriting comparisons to Robert Kirby's work on the first two Nick Drake albums, this is an album that serves to impress upon the listener the desire to explore the works of Burns--and Reader--further. If "Jamie Is My Darling"--a call to sexual initiation--is justly delivered with all the juvenile frisson of a tentative knee-trembler behind the bike sheds then "John Anderson My Jo" is breathtakingly poignant in its tale of life-long commitment. Thoughtfully--and for the benefit of Sassenach speakers of the "De'il's tongue"--Reader's sleeve notes provide handy translations of some of the more abstruse elements of Burns' Scottish dialect. She also admits to being a bit coy about Burns' bawdiness ( "Brose and Butter" omits the most offensive, female crotch-area word in the English language) so one can only hope she'll be brave enough to include a version of "Nine Inch Will Please a Lady" on her next Robert Burns album. After all, on the strength of this effort, a second volume is surely warranted.
- Kevin Maidment , Amazon UK
------
Japan CD release fetaures the Bonus Track:
- Green Grow The Rashes O
Artist: Eddi Reader
Album: Sings The Songs Of Robert Burns
Date Of Release: May 27, 2003
Genre: Folk
Bitrate: CBR 256 kbps

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget