Delinsky, Barbara-Uplift - epub - zeke23

seeders: 16
leechers: 2
Added on July 28, 2015 by zeke23in Books > Fiction
Torrent verified.

Delinsky, Barbara-Uplift - epub - zeke23 (Size: 482.66 KB)
 Delinsky, Barbara-Uplift.epub482.66 KB

Description

UPLIFT: Secrets from the Sisterhood of Breast Cancer Survivors is a handbook of practical tips and upbeat anecdotes for those with breast cancer. It contains useful woman-to-woman hints—things the doctor doesn’t say—practical advice on topics ranging from what deodorant to use during radiation, to what minimizes nausea during chemo, to how to feel feminine and upbeat. This advice comes first-hand, in the words of 350+ breast cancer survivors, their sisters, children, parents, lovers, and friends. 23

Barbara’s Comments

I put UPLIFT together because, as a survivor, I saw the need for a book that treated breast cancer as a do-able experience — and, indeed, the response to it has been remarkable. Published in August 2001, the book was immediately cited by women with breast cancer, and the doctors and nurses who treat them, as the single most important volume to keep on their nightstands. A second edition, this one in paperback, was published in May 2003 and contains new material in the form of a chapter on recurrence. The third edition, a 5th Anniversary Volume, adds stories from survivors of five or more years, and a the fourth edition, a 10th Anniversary Volume, adds thoughts from survivors of ten or more years, a discussion of the pros and cons of genetic testing, and a glance at what UPLIFT does for readers and the medical community.

Reviews

“Invaluable to cancer patients…A sort of support group between covers.”
– Library Journal

“Intensely personal and extremely enlightening, UPLIFT is chock full of the kind of information you would want to share with a friend who’s been recently diagnosed. Better yet, you should read it yourself and learn how to be the best possible friend to someone during this tough time.”
– bookreporter.com

“Completely absorbing and deeply moving…An invaluable resource.”
– Health and Fitness Magazine

was born and raised in suburban Boston. My mother’s death, when I was eight, was the defining event of a childhood that was otherwise ordinary. I took piano lessons and flute lessons. I took ballroom dancing lessons. I went to summer camp through my fifteenth year (in Maine, which explains the setting of so many of my stories), then spent my sixteenth summer learning to type and to drive (two skills that have served me better than all of my other high school courses combined). I earned a B.A. in Psychology at Tufts University and an M.A. in Sociology at Boston College. The motivation behind the M.A. was sheer greed. My husband was just starting law school. We needed the money.

Oh. Oh. Back up. You’ll love this. When I was in high school, I was kicked out of Honors English because I couldn’t keep up! No, I never did go back to gloat. The truth is that though I came from a family of lawyers and never dreamed of publishing books, I did learn the basics of writing in high school, and, yeah, that skill has come in handy, too.

Following graduate school, I worked as a researcher with the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children, and as a photographer and reporter for the Belmont Herald. I did the newspaper work after my first son was born. Since I was heavily into taking pictures of him, I worked for the paper to support that habit. Initially, I wrote only in a secondary capacity, to provide copy for the pictures I took. In time, I realized that I was better at writing than photography. I used both skills doing volunteer work for hospital groups, and have served on the Board of Directors of the Friends of the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and on the MGH’s Women’s Cancer Advisory Board.

I became an actual writer by fluke. My twins were four when, by chance, I happened on a newspaper article profiling three female writers. Intrigued, I spent three months researching, plotting, and writing my own book – and it sold.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
482.66 KB
seeders:16
leechers:2
Delinsky, Barbara-Uplift - epub - zeke23