Charles Mingus Blues and Roots(jazz)(mp3@320)[rogercc][h33t]

seeders: 11
leechers: 1
Added on July 19, 2011 by rogerccin Music > Mp3
Torrent verified.

Charles Mingus Blues and Roots(jazz)(mp3@320)[rogercc][h33t] (Size: 88.74 MB)
 01 - Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting.mp312.94 MB
 02 - Cryin' Blues.mp311.42 MB
 03 - Moanin'.mp318.29 MB
 04 - Tensions.mp314.76 MB
 05 - My Jelly Roll Soul.mp315.54 MB
 06 - E's Flat Ah's Flat Too.mp315.34 MB
 Front.jpg467.56 KB

Description

CHARLES MINGUS BLUES & ROOTS
Label: Atlantic
Recorded: 4 February 1959
Released :1960
Format:Mp3@320

Mingus explained the birth of this record in the album's liner notes:
This record is unusual—it presents only one part of my musical world, the blues. A year ago, Nesuhi Ertegün suggested that I record an entire blues album in the style of Haitian Fight Song (in Atlantic LP 1260), because some people, particularly critics, were saying I didn't swing enough. He wanted to give them a barrage of soul music: churchy, blues, swinging, earthy. I thought it over. I was born swinging and clapped my hands in church as a little boy, but I've grown up and I like to do things other than just swing. But blues can do more than just swing. So I agreed.

In response to critical carping that his ambitious, evocative music somehow didn't swing enough, Charles Mingus returned to the earthiest and earliest sources of black musical expression, namely the blues, gospel, and old-time New Orleans jazz. The resulting LP, Blues and Roots, isn't quite as wildly eclectic as usual, but it ranks as arguably Mingus' most joyously swinging outing. Working with simple forms, Mingus boosts the complexity of the music by assembling a nine-piece outfit and arranging multiple lines to be played simultaneously — somewhat akin to the Dixieland ensembles of old, but with an acutely modern flavor. Anyone who had heard "Haitian Fight Song" shouldn't have been surprised that such an album was well within Mingus' range, but jazz's self-appointed guardians have long greeted innovation with reactionary distaste. After Blues and Roots, there could be no question of Mingus' firm grounding in the basics, nor of his deeply felt affinity with them. Whether the music is explicitly gospel-based — like the groundbreaking classic "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting" — or not, the whole album is performed with a churchy fervor that rips through both the exuberant swingers and the aching, mournful slow blues. Still, it's the blues that most prominently inform the feeling of the album, aside from the aforementioned "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting" and the Jelly Roll Morton tribute "My Jelly Roll Soul." The recording session was reportedly very disorganized, but perhaps that actually helped give the performances the proper feel, since they wound up so loose and free-swinging. With a lineup including John Handy and Jackie McLean on alto, Booker Ervin on tenor, frequent anchor Pepper Adams on baritone, and Jimmy Knepper and Willie Dennis on trombones, among others, Blues and Roots isn't hurting for fiery soloists, and they help make the album perhaps the most soulful in Mingus' discography.

Tracklist
1."Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting" – 5:39
2."Cryin' Blues" – 4:58
3."Moanin'" – 8:01
4."Tensions" – 6:27
5."My Jelly Roll Soul" – 6:47
6."E's Flat Ah's Flat Too" – 6:37

Personnel
Charles Mingus – bass
John Handy – alto sax
Jackie McLean – alto sax
Booker Ervin – tenor sax
Pepper Adams – baritone sax
Jimmy Knepper – trombone
Willie Dennis – trombone
Dannie Richmond – drums
Horace Parlan – piano, except for "E's Flat Ah's Flat Too"
Mal Waldron – piano on "E's Flat Ah's Flat Too"

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
88.74 MB
seeders:11
leechers:1
Charles Mingus Blues and Roots(jazz)(mp3@320)[rogercc][h33t]

All Comments

fast, and good sound!, thanks.
Very high quality mp3 files at 320 kbps CBR with OK tags and front cover art. Thanks to the Uploader.