BBC Legends 4048 - Dennis Brain plays Beethoven, Mozart & Brahms (Released: 10 October 2000) [CD

seeders: 0
leechers: 2
Added on June 16, 2009 by in TV
Torrent verified.

BBC Legends 4048 - Dennis Brain plays Beethoven, Mozart & Brahms (Released: 10 October 2000) [CD (Size: 267.75 MB)
 escanear0005 - booklet.jpg1.97 MB
 escanear0006 - booklet.jpg483.2 KB
 escanear0007 - booklet.jpg817.15 KB
 escanear0008 - booklet.jpg1000.44 KB
 escanear0009 - booklet.jpg1.76 MB
 escanear0010 - booklet.jpg1.65 MB
 escanear0011 - booklet.jpg1.22 MB
 escanear0012 - booklet.jpg1.56 MB
 01 Beethoven - Quintett Op. 16 - I Grave - Allegro, ma non troppo.flac35.26 MB
 02 Beethoven - Quintett Op. 16 - II Andante cantabile.flac26.38 MB
 03 Beethoven - Quintett Op. 16 - III Rondo, Allegro ma non troppo.flac21.41 MB
 04 Paul Dukas - Villanelle.flac20.25 MB
 05 Marin Marais - Le Basque.flac4.7 MB
 06 Mozart - Quintett K 407 - I Allegro.flac15.53 MB
 07 Mozart - Quintett K 407 - II Andante.flac18.4 MB
 08 Mozart - Quintett K 407 - III Rondo, Allegro.flac14.03 MB
 09 Brahms - Trio Op. 40 - I Andante.flac26.98 MB
 10 Brahms - Trio Op. 40 - II Scherzo, Allegro - Molto meno Allegro.flac25.37 MB
 11 Brahms - Trio Op. 40 - III Adagio mesto.flac27.37 MB
 12 Brahms - Trio Op. 40 - IV Finale, Allegro con brio.flac21.65 MB

Description

This torrent was uploaded from www.TheBox.bz (signup is open and free) - the home of all British TV

BBC Legends 4048

Dennis Brain plays Beethoven, Mozart & Brahms

(Released: 10 October 2000)

[CDRip (FLAC))]

[color=#0000ff]DW Staff Approved

An mp3 version is available [color=#0000ff]here

http://i40.tinypic.com/16j3uq.jpg
/>

http://i43.tinypic.com/orumpg.png
/>

Was Dennis Brain the greatest horn player ever? No argument from me. It's hard to imagine a more consummate master of

any instrument or a more thoroughly developed musician, and his performances on this disc provide ample evidence of his

prodigious artistry in something he especially loved--chamber music. Although he could have adopted and owned an

exclusive role as virtuoso soloist, Brain chose to devote much of his time to performing in the more or less

equal-partner settings offered by trios, quartets, and quintets, and in works composed for his particular skills, such

as Britten's incomparable Serenade for Tenor, Horn, and Strings. There's a special poignancy to the three selections

that open the program: the Beethoven Quintet and the pieces for horn and piano by Dukas and Marais were recorded at the

1957 Edinburgh Festival concerts just one week before Brain's death while driving back to London. He was 36, and like

tenor Fritz Wunderlich, who died of accidental causes at the same age (in 1966), the world was deprived of a great

artist at the peak of his powers.

Brain's performance of Dukas' ravishing little frolic, Villanelle, is nothing less than sensational. It's not just a

stream of formidable leaps and flashy runs, but, responding to his very enthusiastic audience, Brain finds room for

subtle refinements and delivers a clinic in breath control, phrasing, and articulation within the context of a piece

that's already devilishly difficult. Similarly, in the horn entrance in the Andante of the Mozart quintet--this work and

the Brahms Trio were recorded in BBC's London studios six months earlier--Brain spins a strand of pure gold out of

Mozart's elegantly simple theme. It's a small gesture but it's borne of a rare and intense musicality. The Brahms, in

which Brain is joined by partners Max Salpeter (violin) and Cyril Preedy (piano), shows three musicians in complete

communicative harmony, as energetically, intently involved in the performance as we can imagine. The live concert sound

really does give us a sense of being there that August evening--and not only because of coughs (politely kept to breaks

at ends of movements) or clapping. The piano is a bit tinny on top and the balances aren't consistent, but these turn

out to be very minor artifacts; the studio recordings are not balanced any better (the strings in the Mozart are a bit

stifled), but again, your ear immediately adapts. Brain fans will need this.

(Courtesy: [color=#0000ff]arkivmusic)

/>

The BBC Legends series has certainly captured a legend on the top of his form in these splendid performances. Dennis

Brain became a legendary artist while he was still in his twenties; alas he died at only 36. He was involved in a car

accident, probably falling asleep at the wheel, having reached north London after driving home from an Edinburgh

Festival concert.

Has the horn ever sounded better than this as a solo instrument? The rounded, warm tone, the untroubled accuracy were

certainly at their height when the Beethoven, Dukas and Marais items were recorded at the Edinburgh Festival in 1957.

The Mozart and Brahms performances were BBC studio recordings made earlier that year. In both works Brain is

magnificent, and in the Brahms the other artists at the top of their form too. The English String Quartet are not

consistently polished in the Mozart, though their support is perfectly adequate. But the Brahms Trio is treated to a

very special performance, and alone is worth the price of the disc. The sound is mono but it is clear and atmospheric.

(Courtesy: [color=#0000ff]musicweb)

/>

This CD is - Thank God! - a re-release of a BBC Records Recording from 1974 Titled simply, "Dennis Brain

(1921-1957)". When I was a horn student in Highschool back in the 80's, my parents brought it back for me from

Europe. I have been looking for this recording on CD ever since then because I completely wore the record out. It is

absolutely the best horn playing you will EVER hear. I used to play the record at least ten times a day - it inspired me

to practice four hours a day and to despair that I would never play half as well as this genius. It brought tears to my

eyes to hear it again and to remember what it was like to fall in love with Horn music and to spend so many happy hours

rejoicing in the sound this man made with this wonderful instrument. The music is completely miraculous. What a

tremendous loss he was, God rest his soul.

(Courtesy: [color=#0000ff]amazon)

/>

There are horn players.

And then there's Dennis Brain, who was, without doubt, the greatest horn player that has ever lived.

I could write more, much more, but I'll let his sublime playing speak for itself.

(Courtesy - me)

/>

Contents:

Mozart: Quintet for Horn, Violin, 2 Violas and Cello in E flat major, K 407 (386c) (1)

Brahms: Trio for Horn, Violin and Piano in E flat major, Op. 40) (1)

Beethoven: Quintet for Piano, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon and Horn in E flat major, Op. 16 (2)

Dukas: Villanelle for Horn and Piano (2)

Marais: Vielles danses françaises (5) :: no 5, Le Basque (2)

Artwork

(1) Live at the BBC Studios, London, 18 February 1957

(2) Live at the Usher Hall, Edinburgh, 24 August 1957

Contents:

The complete score, and parts, for the Mozart can be downloaded [color=#0000ff]here

The Dukas is [color=#0000ff]here

*** MediaInfo Mac // Plain text file report

2009-05-24 16:42:32 +0100

Information for File: 01 Beethoven - Quintett Op. 16 - I Grave - Allegro, ma non troppo.flac

General / Container Stream # 1

Total Audio Streams for this File -> 1

Audio Codecs Used -> FLAC

File Format -> FLAC

Play Time -> 9mn 47s

Total File Size -> 35.3 MiB

Total Stream BitRate -> 504 Kbps

Title (Tag) -> Beethoven - Quintett Op. 16 - I Grave - Allegro, ma non troppo

Encoded with -> Max 0.8.1

Audio Stream # 1

Codec -> FLAC

Audio Stream Length -> 9mn 47s 0ms

Audio Stream BitRate Mode -> VBR

Number of Audio Channels -> 2

Sampling Rate -> 44.1 KHz

Bit Depth -> 16 bits

Any questions, thoughts, comments etc etc - please feel free to PM me.

(My upload speed isn't great, so please be patient - electricity permitting, I'm on 24/7)

===============================

Some of the other rather spiffing shows available now and always if you signup free @ www.TheBox.bz:

Comedy: The Office, Peep Show, Coupling, Chef, Fawlty Towers, Only Fools and

Horses, The IT Crowd, Brass Eye, Nathan Barley, Young Ones, Monty Python, Blackadder, Alan Partridge, Father Ted,

Coupling, Little Britain, Mr Bean, Extras, Green Wing, Mighty Boosh

Drama: Casualty, Holby City, The Bill, Hustle, Skins, Shameless, Ashes To

Ashes

Entertainment: Faking It, Derren Brown, Scrapheap Challenge, Strictly Come

Dancing, Wife Swap

Game/Quiz Shows: Whose Line Is It Anyway?, Have I Got News For You, Deal Or No

Deal (UK)

Education/Documentary: Planet Earth, Horizon, Panorama, Mark Thomas (Comedy)

Product

Food: Hell's Kitchen, Jamie Oliver, The F Word, Kitchen Nightmares, Masterchef,

Great British Menu, Gordon Ramsay's Cookalong

Home/Property/Garden: Property Ladder, How Clean Is Your House?, Changing

Rooms, Grand Designs, Homes Under The Hammer, To Buy Or Not To Buy

Motoring: Top Gear, Fifth Gear

Music: Top Of The Pops, Jools Holland

Reality: Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother, I'm a Celebrity - Get Me Out of

Here!, Any Dream Will Do, Grease, Pop Idol, Wife Swap, X Factor, Badger Or Bust, Apprentice UK, Dragons' Den

Sci-Fi: Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Torchwood

Sport: Football (Soccer), Cricket, Rugby, Snooker, Darts, Formula One (F1GP)

Soaps: Eastenders, Coronation Street, Emmerdale, Neighbours, Hollyoaks

Style/Fashion: What Not To Wear, Project Catwalk

Kids: Teletubbies, Blue Peter, Tikkabilla, Andy Pandy, Postman Pat, Shoebox

Zoo, Brum, Bob The Builder, Young Dracula, Sarah Jane Adventures, Shaun The Sheep

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
267.75 MB
seeders:0
leechers:2
BBC Legends 4048 - Dennis Brain plays Beethoven, Mozart & Brahms (Released: 10 October 2000) [CD